Director of Maintenance / Facilities Manager
December 9, 2021
Scott Management, Inc. (SMI), established in 1961, is an award-winning industry leader for multi-family housing in the Washington Metro Region. We are seeking an experienced Director of Maintenance to join our property management team.
We currently manage a portfolio of 1940’s through 1970’s garden style and mid-rise building communities with varying mechanical, HVAC and roofing systems, totaling approx. 140 buildings containing 4,500 apartment and 1000’s of surface parking spaces and driveways in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
You will be responsible for all things facilities such as evaluating, developing, and executing cost effective, practical and resourceful plans for improving, repairing, maintaining our properties infrastructures, including but not limited to plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and boiler systems, parking surfaces, utility conservation and commodity purchasing.
As part of our executive team, you will be the point person to help develop each property’s maintenance team and lead our in-house roving ‘contractor’ team of specialized technicians in Electrical/ Plumbing/ HVAC (Support Services).
You will oversee the overall property maintenance and capital improvement projects and be integral in setting standards, policies and procedures, inventory oversight, workplace safety, etc.
Our number one priority is the health and safety of our employees and their families, our residents and our communities. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment.*
Candidates must have SIGNIFICANT prior facilities management experience encompassing the above outlined tasks and skills. The ideal candidate has a civil or mechanical engineering degree and/or can demonstrate a minimum of 10 years of experience managing multi-family apartment housing facilities or similar real estate such a school/college campus, military bases/housing, etc. Below is an outline of additional skills and background preferences:
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment*
- Property management experience
- Project, construction, and facilities management
- Identify & solve problems, develop scope, RFP and contract procurement
- Value engineering via creative problem solving
- Safety / OSHA / Liability awareness.
- Team builder thru solid interpersonal and leadership skills
- Effective organization & time management
- Excellent communication, both verbally and in writing
- Possess and demonstrate strong integrity & ethics
Typical responsibilities will include:
- Identify current and future maintenance requirements, incl. preparing long-term (10 years) capital and renovation expenditures, scheduling and coordinating such projects with the various teams and overseeing satisfactory completion/execution of such plans
- Design, implement and modify preventive maintenance programs by reviewing maintenance reports and statistics, by reviewing quality control reports, and inspecting equipment and systems for conformance with operational standards
- Develop/review project specifications and analyze design and performance standards; ensure goals are met by performing preliminary and final “punch lists” for projects and follow up on any deficiencies
- Assume overall responsibility for the safe and efficient functioning, maintenance and operation of all buildings, equipment, machinery, and systems, as well as for the safety practices of personnel, incl. managing the Safety and Risk Control Program
- Calculating and comparing costs for required services and supplies to achieve maximum value for money
- Manage multiple projects at different building and deliver completed projects timely
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations and regulatory agencies related to building operations
- As an executive team member, develop and contribute ideas to improve the company’s overall fiduciary duty to the building owners
- Utility Management: Water/sewer – Gas – Electricity loss reduction, conservation, benchmarking.
- Other duties as assigned
We are a professional property management company with a strong work ethic driven by close attention to detail. We operate in a pleasant office atmosphere in Old Town Alexandria with free parking. This position requires frequent on-site visits to our apartment communities.
We offer competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package. SMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We actively promote a diverse and drug-free workplace. The candidate selected for this position will be subject to background investigation.
Individuals who meet the requirements listed above, are invited to send their cover letter, resume and income requirements to: HR@scottmanagementinc.com, reference “Director of Maintenance” in the subject line.
Fax: (703)549-0326, Attn. HR
Mail: Scott Management, Inc., Attn. HR, 300 N Lee Street, SUITE 200, Alexandria, VA 22314
*Consistent with applicable law, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for individuals who are unable to be vaccinated due to medical reasons or sincerely-held religious beliefs.
EHO / EOE